Monday, November 2, 2009

what is a mediterranean garden - part III

Continued from . . .

OK, so the seasons are all different - so what? Why does that make a difference?
      I had occasion to travel to the Southeastern US for a wedding. Knowing of my interest in gardens, my wife and I were introduced to those locals who were gardeners themselves. As the wedding was held in early summer, there was already a fair bit of heat and humidity in the area. After spending hours being entertained indoors (with ample air conditioning) and admiring the garden outside through the windows, I decided to venture out to get a closer look. After stepping out the door, I was taken aback by just how hot it was and the humidity was already enveloping me like a warm wet towel! I abandoned my quest and retreated indoors. The host spotted me and informed me that she never goes into the garden after 10am or before 6pm during this time of year!

Le jardin provençaux de Pierre Bergé
Part of the beauty of a mediterranean climate is how many months of the years you can spend outdoors, at least much of the day. Sure, there'll be hot days when it is best to stay inside, or better yet find a corner in deep shade in which to sit where one can get the benefit of an occasional breeze. but much of the year, especially fall, winter, spring, there is very pleasant weather and clear skies. Doing anything that is possible outside becomes the norm. And consequently, planning your outdoor spaces to accommodate such activity become important.
      I once read that English gardens are meant for strolling, which means that it is generally not pleasant enough to tarry in one place or even sit still, and Mediterranean gardens are meant for sitting, meaning that in this climate spending a fair amount of time in the outdoor space is very pleasant, even desirable. In corporating different areas for eating, reading, relaxing, or even working in your garden will offer you the opportunity to learn this for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment